The K1 visa interview in 2017 typically lasts only 15 to 30 minutes and is fairly straightforward. You shouldn’t have any problems if your relationship is legitimate and you know your fiancé well, which you should because you are applying for a K1 visa. In order to be successful at your K1 visa interview you must understand two basic principles.
First, answer all the Consular Officers questions honestly as lying during a visa interview can have serious long term immigration consequences. Second, don’t forget the purpose of the K1 visa is to enter the U.S. to marry your fiancé. I had a friend of a friend who attended a K1 visa interview in Manila and the Consular Officer asked her why she wanted to go to the U.S. and she replied so she could work to support her family. Although this was a noble answer her visa was denied because the purpose of a K1 visa is to get married to the petitioner in the United States.
Typically, the K1 visa interview questions will fall within 3 categories information about you, your fiancé, and your relationship. When preparing for the K1 visa interview it is best to focus on these broad categories instead of memorizing answers to questions you may never even be asked. However, it is a good idea to familiarize yourself with some of the questions you may encounter at the interview. The sample K1 visa interview questions below will help you to get an idea of what kinds of questions to expect at the interview.
Questions About You:
The Consular Officer will ask you general questions about your background and your intentions for entering the United States, such as:
- What is your name?
- What is your date of birth?
- What kind of work do you do?
- Have you traveled to the U.S. before? If yes, when? What was the purpose of your visit?
- Do you have any family members living in the United States?
- Have you been married before? Why did that relationship end?
- Why do you want to travel to the United States?
- Have you ever been approved or denied a U.S. visa before?
- How does your family feel about you getting married in the United States?
- Have you ever been arrested or convicted of a crime?
Questions About Your Fiancé:
The Consular Officer will ask you questions about your fiancé at the K1 visa interview to verify that your relationship is genuine. You will be expected to answer personal questions about your fiancé, such as:
- What is your fiancé’s full name and date of birth?
- Where was your fiancé born?
- Where does your fiancé live? How long has he or she lived there?
- What is his or her occupation?
- Have you met your fiancé’s parents? What are their names?
- Does your fiancé have any brothers or sisters?
- Has your fiancé ever been married before? If yes, what happened in that relationship?
- What does your fiancé like to do in his or her free time?
- What is your fiancé’s religion?
- Does your fiancé speak your language? How do you communicate?
Questions About Your Relationship:
To further verify that your relationship is legitimate the Consular Officer will ask you personal questions about your relationship and wedding plans, such as:
- How and where did you first meet your fiancé?
- How many times has your fiancé visited you here?
- What kinds of activities do you enjoy doing together?
- How did your fiancé propose to you?
- How have you been communicating during this long distance relationship?
- How often do you communicate?
- Do you have wedding plans already?
- When and where will the wedding take place?
- Will any of your family be attending your wedding in the United States?
- How do you feel about getting married, without any family members present?
- Have you made any plans for your honeymoon?
It is okay to be nervous at the interview most people are and the consular officers are used to it. Just remember to always be honest and the purpose of a K1 fiancé visa is to get married in the U.S. and you will do just fine.
Return to our online K1 visa kit